Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Tough First Two Weeks: Day 1

One of the things that I don't like about starting this journey is the first two weeks.  This is typically the make or break period for most people, the time when the goal seems insurmountable, the end results not worth the pain... and suffering and the loss of the good stuff appearing at times to be a little ridiculous...

For me, it's more about the transition.  During this time, I'm cutting out caffeine, reducing food portions, changing the diet menu, and starting the workout.  Most of this I can handle with a grim determination until I'm over the hurdle and on my way to making it a good habit. However, one of the things that makes Scott a Grumpie Guss is the caffeine reduction piece.

I don't really need caffeine, such as soda and coffee. However, like many things in life, it becomes habitual.   You start out with a half a can of soda a day (approximately 100 calories), which in the big scheme of things is not too bad.  Before you know it, the point I'm at right now, you are drinking 2 to 3 20 oz. bottles of soda each day, PLUS a foo-foo coffee drink as well, piling on 500 to 1000 additional calories each day, which one really does not need.

But like I said, I don't need caffeine to make it through the day.  Unfortunately, at the point where I am, my body (especially my brain) has become dependent on the compound, which means I have to go through the necessary caffeine withdrawal. The piercing headaches, the grumpiness, and the worn-out feeling are all part of the process... and for me is the worst aspect of the first two weeks.

Already I'm feeling this, having not had any caffeine for the last 20 hours.  I'm a little nauseous, my head is pounding, and my patience is on a short rope. While I know that this will only last a couple days before it is flushed out of my system, it is not a fun experience...

... an experience I can't wait to be over with.

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you for doing this so publicly Scott! I've been journaling privately because I'm afraid to put it all out there... Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristy! For me it's a form of motivation. If I keep it private, then it's just myself that I'm answering to... and I can quit or cheat on the healthy plan with little repercussion. By putting it out there, where my friends and family can see it (and by making sure i notify everyone I know of my updates, then I have a vested interest to keep doing it not only for myself, but for everyone who may be rooting for me. Is there a chance that some jerk may get on here and try to demotivate with harsh comments... of course. But for me, that will just add more fuel to my fire. The public approach is so liberating... like finally admitting a major thing you've been denying or hiding for years. Which, I guess, it is. :-)

    Good luck on your own personal journey... it's a tough path sometimes but the rewards are worth it I think...

    ReplyDelete